Common Name: Bearded Dragon Species: Pogona vitticeps Natural Habitat: They are naturally found in the Deserts of Australia. Size: Bearded Dragons can grow 18?24? from head to tail. Difficulty Level: Best for Beginners.
Bearded dragon is one of the most popular pet in the United States. They were first introduced in the 1990s. They are so famous that they can be found almost in all pet stores across the United States.
Bearded dragons are considered one of the best pets because of its distinctive personality and traits. One of the reasons for why a bearded dragon is popular among the bearded dragon community is because of their longer lifespan. A few decades ago, people used to think that bearded dragons can only live for 8 years? maximum. However, due to the advance husbandry practices and research we have discovered that they can live much longer lives. They can live up to 15 years in age.
There are a number of things that affect bearded dragon lifespan.
Things That Can Increase of Decrease Bearded Dragon Lifespan
How long do bearded dragons live? The answer to this question can vary from dragon to dragon. Some dragons live longer than other however there are things that affect the bearded dragon lifespan. The following things have directly impact on how long a bearded dragon will live.
- Diet: A well balanced diet will help your dragon increase its life.
- Environment: If you want your bearded dragon to live a longer life, you want to make sure that he/she is getting proper heating, lighting and substrate. These three things are very important for bearded dragons. If any of these is missing, it can drastically decrease your bearded dragon?s life.
- Kept in captivity: As there are no predators in the captivity so they are likely to live longer as compared to the dragons living in the wild.
- No breeding: This one applies to the female bearded dragons only. Breeding can drastically reduce their lifespan.
- Separation/ isolation: In the cage they are safe from getting injured. So, they will likely live longer.
- Sex: Male dragons generally outlive its female counterparts.
- Size of the species: Larger dragons live longer than small ones.
- Space: The more space you provide the healthy your dragon will be. It will have more space for exercise.
How Long Do Bearded Dragons Live?
Below is the chart explaining the different age ranges for bearded dragons.
- 5 to 8 Years: This is the maximum they live in the wild. This is the same they will live in captivity if the owner is not taking a proper care of it.
- 8 to 12 Years: A dragon can live up to 12 years if the owner is taking proper care.
- 12 to 14 Years: The maximum it can reach in the captivity under super care.
- 14+ Years: There are cases where bearded dragons have lived for more than 15 years. There are also cases where bearded dragons have lived for 19 years however these cases are never been confirmed.