Sterling Silver and stainless steel are both used in jewelry. This is because they both are shiny, shimmering metals when they are polished, but the similarities end just there.
Silver is not only metal but an element. Its chemical symbol is Ag, for Argentum, the Latin word for the metal. It is rare, but not as unique as gold or platinum. Along with gold and platinum, silver is estimated a precious metal. It is also a metal used in making coins, thus known as the coinage metal along with gold, copper, bronze, lead, zinc, and nickel.
Like pure gold, pure silver is too soft to be worn every day, so it?s usually alloyed with other metals to make it stronger. However, fine, 99.9% silver is used for earrings, which aren?t subjected to the wear and tear, unlike rings or bracelets.
Sterling Silver Jewelry & Stainless Steel Jewelry: What Are The Differences?
Sterling Silver Jewelry
Sterling silver means 92.5 percent pure silver and 7.5 percent copper alloy. Sometimes a person will see 925 or ?Sterling? stamped on a piece of silver jewelry to let them know that it is sterling silver jewelry. Argentium silver is a type of sterling silver with the addition of germanium, which makes the metal even stronger and tarnish-resistant.
- Silver is not just any other ordinary metal. It is a precious one that is more affordable compared to platinum or gold.
- Due to its malleability, it is easy to produce different kinds of sterling silver jewelry. This explains the vast array of unique and elegant designs we see in jewelry stores.
- Sterling silver jewelry tarnishes faster. However, it can also be cleaned easily and can return to its original shine and brightness as if brand new.
- Some jewelry lovers intentionally allow their jewelry to tarnish a bit to attain a natural matte and oxidized finish. Doing so further highlights the beauty of the metal.
- If damaged, it can be easily repaired.
- Sterling silver, or silver in general, is softer than any other precious metal. Therefore, it is more prone to scratches and damages than gold or platinum.
- It tarnishes fast.
- If you cannot get your sterling silver jewelry cleaned regularly, then this may not be an ideal type of jewelry for you.
- It is costlier than stainless steel.
Silver jewelry should never be placed in plastic bags but should be stored in flannel bags to prevent tarnishing. These bags can easily be found in local jewelry stores.
You may also like this:
?? Does Moonstone Help In Fertility And Pregnancy?
Stainless Steel Jewelry
Stainless steel is a combination of metal and carbon. Chromium is added to stainless steel to get it corrosion-resistant. When chromium reacts with oxygen, it provides a transparent skin that protects the steel from rusting. The percentage of chromium that gives steel stainless is at least 10.5 percent.
Other metals that can go in making stainless steel include titanium, nickel, and molybdenum. Stainless steel does not have to be polished until it is blindingly bright but can have a soft, attractive matte or satin finish.
- Stainless steel jewelry is cheaper than sterling silver jewelry.
- It is not prone to scratches and damages.
- It can be worn every day without having to worry about tarnish. It can easily be cleaned using soap and water.
- An expert jewelry maker can make stainless steel jewelry look precisely like sterling silver jewelry. Therefore, you can own expensive-looking jewelry at a low price.
- Stainless steel jewelry may be durable, but if it gets damaged, it cannot be easily repaired.
- There are instances when stainless steel jewelry triggers an allergic reaction in people.
You may also like this:
?? How Much Does Moonstone Ring Cost?
If the jewelry is to be worn throughout summer, amidst the heat and humidity, then skin reactions and allergies are at their worst.
Because it is as tough as it is, stainless steel jewelry doesn?t need much pampering.
Wash it in warm, soapy water, rinse it thoroughly, and leave it to dry on a clean towel. Please keep it in its soft bag, so it does not get the scratches by other pieces of jewelry.
My Personal Choice ? Sterling Silver V/S Stainless Steel Jewelry
To further help you to take the final decision about sterling silver and stainless steel jewelry, let me offer my personal choice too.
I own several sterling silver pieces myself, which were given to me as gifts.
I must admit that they have beautiful designs and, yes, I am wearing them every day without worrying that they would get damaged.
Is Sterling Silver Good For Everyday Wear?
Every lady must know these facts about sterling silver before buying the jewelry.
Silver is a valuable and adorable metal that has used as a trade currency and to curate jewelry for ages.
You may also like this:
?? Top 6 Romantic Birthday Gift Ideas For Girlfriend?
It is being used to create rings, bracelets, and earrings because of the reasons mentioned above.
So, you can wear this type of jewelry all day every day.
I hope this article helped you to better understand the differences between stainless steel and sterling silver jewelry.
Now, you can take your jewelry buying decision based on facts.