Squonking is a style of vaping in which a squonking mod, and a bottom fed rebuildable RDA style or tank atomiser are used to keep vaping by pressing on the E-Juice bottle to fill the cotton, or tank with more E-liquid.
It?s aimed at any style of vaper, with products available to cater to everyone?s needs, but more specifically people who are looking for an ?all in one solution?.
The bottles contained within squonker mods tend to be of large capacities, eliminating the need to carry around separate bottles of juice through your day.
What is squonking?
The atomisers used are rebuildable dripping atomisers with bottom feed pins, meaning you get the very best flavour and vapour!
Unless they have been specifically converted, or fitted with a compatible bottom feed pin, you can?t use an RDA with an every day 510 connector, as there will be no way for the juice to be fed up from your mod to your atomiser.
Likewise, you don?t want to use an RDA with a bottom feed pin fitted on a standard mod, as juice will drip down through the bottom feed pin and get into your mod through the 510 connector. Which can of course give you some serious issues with your mod. Only use an RDA with a BF pin on a squonking mod, never on a standard every day mod.
Wismec By Jaybo
How Do You Squonk?
It?s actually pretty simple, once you get the hang of it.
You?ll need to acquire a squonking mod (Some of the best squonk mods can be found here @ joyetech.us), which has a removable squonking bottle that attaches to a hose or filler line underneath your atomizer. The cut out hole will be visible on the outside of your box-mod ? so that you can squeeze the bottle without opening it all up again.
Squonkers come either regulated or unregulated (mechanical). Some have chips which help them to achieve more high-end goals.
You?ll also need a bottom feed pin fitted RDA Style Mod, as squonking will not work with regular RDA?s. You?ll also, obviously, need a Bottom fed squonk atomizer. When you press or squeeze the squonk bottle your e-juice will be delivered through pressure up from your squonk bottle into your RDA from underneath . This is done through a line or hose which attaches the tank to the Atomizer Reservoir (just below the cotton/coil), which will coat your wicks with juice. Hit the power button on your mod & take a puff. You are now Squonking! After several puffs, you are going to want to give a quick couple of squeezes to your Squonk bottle to keep your wicks coated and your vape dry hit free.
It?s dripping without even needing to remove your top cap!
What Kit Do You Need?
- Squonking mod
- Squonking bottle
- Bottom feed Squonk compatible RDA
- Bottom feed pin
Squonking ? The Good
- The best thing about squonking is that you have the convenience of a tank, with the flavor & perks of a drip-tip RDA Atomizer.
- Squonking mods generally come with bottle capacities of 7?10ml. This means that you can carry an entire day?s worth of juice around with you. No need to refill throughout the day ? just press your squonk bottle to get that juice back into the wick. Squonk mods are convenient to carry.
- The bottles feed juice up your atomiser with a squeeze, so you can carry your squonker around without the fear of leaking.
- Biggest PERK ? is that on top of your squonker, is a full flavored RDA.
- Most of the popular RDA?s have bottom feed pins included or available, which means they can be used with squonker mods.
- It is no fuss dripping, a simple squeeze of a bottle feeds juice up and re-juices your wicks with little mess (unless you squonk too hard and flood your deck). You can drip all day long without needing to remove the top cap of your atomiser.
- There?s real value for money to be found as well, with quite a few ?all in one? kits available that provide you with a squonking mod and bottom fed atomiser, at very competitive pricing too.
- Kits such as the Wismec Luxotic BF Box Kit are well priced all in options, which can work out cheaper than many vape mod and sub ohm tank combos.
Squonking ? The Bad
Under-squonking and Over-squonking.
- Unless you have a clear cap on your bottom fed dripper to see your build, you might struggle at first with ensuring your wicks are juiced correctly. This can result in Under-squonking, which gives you dry hits. Never a pleasant thing.
- Or Over-squonking which floods your deck, causing leaking and spit-back. That?s never a nice thing either!
- You might find you have an adjustment period whilst you work out the best balance and what works best for your mod and atomiser.
- The squonking market is rapidly expanding, and with major manufacturers involved it is only going to get bigger over time.
- However, at present you are limited if you are looking for a squonking kit that is widely available and cheap.
- There is a huge market from artisan high end suppliers. However, they are limited to what they produce which in turn means the chance of you finding rocking horse crap may be a more likely outcome.
- If you stick to the more well known manufacturers, there isn?t a whole lot of choice right now, (or at least at the time of writing) but what there is will certainly do the trick.
Will Squonking Be For Me?
- If you already use drippers for the vast majority of your time, trying out a squonker should be an absolute no brainer.
- There are squonking mods and atomisers out there that cater for just about every style of vaping.
- Bottom feed pins for various popular drippers are now available too in order to make them compatible with squonking mods.
- I would recommend squonking to everybody, beginner to experienced vaper.
- It?s something that every vaper should try at least once due to the excellent all in one solution it provides, and the market is only getting bigger in size.
Have a look at our ?Top Squonkers? guide below to get a feel for the best products available right now in the squonking market!
We have a mix of the rare and high end, regulated and unregulated, right down to more budget friendly alternatives that still offer excellent performance.
So, lets take a look at some of our favourites.
So there are some recommendations to get the ball rolling. Do you have a favourite Squonk Mod?
What is a SQUONK MOD & How Does it Work?
While the name may sound odd, a squonk mod is one of the most interesting devices on the market. A squonk mod, which is also known as a bottom feeder mod, is a device that has the capability of storing an e-liquid bottle and supplying the e-liquid from the bottom of the device to the top hollowed 510 center pin by way of a short tube. While explaining what it is and how it works can be simplified, Guide To Vaping is known for breaking it down further into detail for a thorough explanation. We?ll be doing that today as well.
The History of Squonk Mods
While many think squonking is a new style of vaping, believe it not but there?s a history behind it all. In fact, squonk mods date back to around 2009, which was ultimately a DIY project made by a vaper known as Carlos49. The popular name didn?t have any backing until an E-Cigarette Forum (ECF) member, Jack Murray, described the innovative design and referenced the device with the term ?squonk?. While the first actual squonk mod was made late 2009 as a DIY project using a Radio Shack plastic box called the JuiceBox, it only landed in the hands of nearly 250 people. Though demand was high, Carlos didn?t deliver the rest of the squonk mods that were pre-ordered (scammed ECF members). One member became tired of waiting, Robert O?Neill, and decided to create his own squonk mod and began selling the improved upon version, which took the brand name REO. The website ReosMods became a huge success from that time, becoming what?s known as the first commercially available squonk mod, and setting forth a path later squonk mod manufacturers would follow. Squonk mods still continue to be a successful part of the market, however, it?s success that comes in waves. Though squonking was a thing of our past, it?s not run full circle and history is repeating itself as they gain popularity here in late 2017.
It Takes Two To Tango
Have you ever heard this saying, it takes two to tango? We?re sure you have but in this particular situation, we?re talking about a squonk mod and a squonk rda, a duo that intertwines with one another to make the other work. Without one, the other will not work, at least for squonking. When you?re squonking, you?re using a setup of a squonk-friendly rebuildable dripping atomizer and a squonk mod. Whenever you buy a squonk mod, you?ll also need to buy a squonk-friendly RDA. With a squonk mod, you can bypass using the squonking portion of the mod and use it as a regular mod that?s accompanied by a standard rebuildable atomizer or tank. When it comes to the RDA?s, you must have a squonk-friendly RDA, meaning there is a hole in the 510 connection that allows e-liquid to be fed through the bottom and into the deck of the atomizer. Commonly, you?ll find that many RDA?s being manufactured today can be used as a standard RDA or for squonking.What Is A Squonk RDA and How Do They WorkA squonk RDA is a rebuildable dripping atomizer that comes equipped with a hole in the center of the 510 connection, which will allow e-liquid to be fed through the bottom of the atomizer and up into the deck. When the bottle housed in the squonk mod is pressed, e-liquid is forced into a tube and pushed into the bottom of the 510 connection. The e-liquid then travels to the deck of the rebuildable dripping atomizer where it then soaks the wicking material.
What Is A Squonk Mod and How Do They Work
A squonk mod is a device that houses an e-liquid bottle within its casing. The bottle is attached to a tube that runs up into the 510 connection, making its way through a hollowed 510 center pin. Once a squonk RDA is attached, the e-liquid will travel through the squonk mod?s 510 connection and into the squonk RDA?s male 510 connection, and finally making its way to the deck.
The Benefits of Using A Squonk Mod Setup
There are many benefits to using a squonk mod setup. However, like anything in the world of vaping, everything has its ups and downs. You?ll find that using a squonk mod setup is more convenient and will eliminate the need to ?drip?. In addition, you won?t have to constantly refill the bottles in squonk mods typically range from 7ML to 10ML. Another big advantage is you?ll no longer have an issue with over dripping. When you press the bottle or squonk, the e-liquid that doesn?t soak the wicking material will often drain back down into the e-liquid bottle. And lastly, you?ll get the same benefits you would from using any RDA, which includes, great airflow, the ability to build your own coils, the ability to wick your own coils, and of course a better flavor and vapor output.
New Colors for the Luxotic BF Box
For those that care, here are a few drawbacks to using a squonk mod setup:
- You have to build/insert your own coils and wicking material.
- When refilling your squonk bottle, e-liquid often drips out of the tube and become a bit messy.
- Squonk mods are commonly unregulated, meaning a slim choice to choose from, no safety features or wattage adjustments.
- The battery life on squonk mods are usually poor, as most squonk mods house only a single 18650 battery to make room for the bottle.