Have you ever been called: Weird, strange, eccentric, touched, odd, off, or different? If so, did you reevaluate or second guess yourself? Were you offended or hurt? Did you consider the source?
Personally, I?ve been called all of those things. I?ve also been through the entire gamut of emotions about it. At times it hurt and I was offended (when I knew that it was coming from a malicious place). It has also caused me to second guess myself, even though I am now and have always been a very confident and secure person. Before letting the insult manifest itself too deeply inside of me, I considered the source.
Define ?Normal?, Please?
According to Merriam- Webster Dictionary, ?normal? is defined as:
According with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule or principle. Conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern.
*My simple breakdown of ?so called? normal people?*
- They are comfortable with playing their positions. They do not question things very often. Normal people are content with routines, patterns and even societal norms. Typically, they are not very deep or creative. When it comes to their own normality, they have tunnel vision.
- Normal people are judgmental of anything that deviates from their rules of normality. This type of person usually becomes weak when dealt with one-on-one. In most cases of one-on-one communications with a ?non-normal? person or persons, the normal party will either a) Go along to get along (since normal is only normal in normal company), or b) Become defensive and condescending.
- Normal people are usually the biggest consumers. Since normality is a lifestyle, there are things that will need to be purchased in order to remain within the norm. These pseudo necessities are known as ?Fads? and ?Trends?.
- They also use similar phrases, cliches, and platitudes such as, ?Think outside of the box?. Only normal people think outside of the box (which makes no sense to me because THEY ARE THE BOX!).
- Normal people have antiquated ideas about everything and they will not diverge from them. They have no ambition to learn new things (because new things are ?weird?). They are happy to remain blissfully ignorant.
- Normal people depend almost solely on common sense and logic. They do not understand anything that does not fall into those categories.
- Normal people read the rules so that they will know how to follow them.
- Most normal people do not know that they are normal. They only know that you are weird.
I?m not saying that each of these principles apply to all normal people, just 99.99% of them (and no, you are not the .01%! But it is pretty normal for you to think that you are. See the last principle.)
What, EXACTLY Does ?Weird? Mean?
Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines ?weird? as:
Unusual or strange. Of strange or extraordinary character. Odd, fantastic.
*My simple breakdown of ?Weird? people*
- Weird people will stand alone in an argument or debate regardless of how out numbered they are. Weird people are steadfast in their convictions.
- Weird people are naturally Socratic. They question everything and everyone all of the time. Nothing and no one is exempt!
- Weird people don?t fit in well with social organizations or other organized groups and institutions. However, they will research, listen and learn although unlikely to commit to them.
- Weird people become bored and restless quite easily.
- Weird people do not care about fads and trends.
- Weird people have no problem with normal people.
- Weird people keep an open mind and are not content to take things at face value.
- Weird people are too complex to solely depend on common sense and logic.
- Weird people are deep and creative.
- Weird people read the rules in order to learn which ones should be broken- and how.
- Weird people often have to learn things the hard way.
What?s So Great About Being ?Normal??
I cannot answer that question. According to the dictionary definition of normal, which used such words as; routine, regular patterns, conforming, and standard, it sounds like being normal would really suck- for me, at least. Based on the principles that were given, normal people are; self righteous and against growth (when a living thing stops growing, it?s dead).
However, the existence of normal people is very necessary. As dull as they tend to be at times, they provide balance. People who are normal are more likely to be rational and level-headed in difficult situations. Usually they are the ?peace makers? in times of dispute as well as the responsible party that everyone trusts.
This lifestyle provides a backdrop to everyday life because eventually, we will all become a part of a routine of some kind. We need need people who follow the rules and be the grain that us weirdos will ultimately cut across.
Why I Prefer To Be a Weirdo
Without ?Weirdos?, normal people would live an empty, uneventful, primitive life with no frills! Weird people are the innovators, inventors, activists, artists, musicians, writers, engineers, designers, and creators of all technology. Anything that we use and depend on everyday was likely created by some weirdo who was ostracized and demeaned by society?s normal sector.
Freedom?s, rights and laws that we all enjoy today were spearheaded by weirdos who lead movements that fought for rights that have made our lives easier (ie: Non violence. There is nothing ?normal? about that!). Normal people could never accomplish these feats on their own because it would require them to leave their comfort zone.
As a weirdo, you have more fun because you have less hang ups. Even a simple life for a weirdo is exciting because we live each second to the fullest by learning and experiencing new things. We do not stifle our curiosities, we turn them into memories and lessons!
The bottom line for me is that I would rather be described by words like: Extraordinary and fantastic than conforming and routine. What is most important is that we understand that in order to make this life work, both teams are necessary. So the next time one of you normal people become judgmental of a weirdo, think of what you would not have were it not for weird people?
- Light Bulbs
- Modern Medicine
- Civil Rights
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Indoor Plumbing
- Under Garments
- Pop (soda)
- Air Conditioner
Just to name a few?