Before we start with the measuring, lay down the dress on a flat hard surface and smooth out any wrinkles you might see. Once that is done, follow the below steps:
Free sizing templates available on Size.ly
- Bust: The measurement is taken from side seam to side seam directly under the armhole or sleeve.
- Waist: This is the smallest part of your waist. The measurement is taken from side to side directly at the waistline
- Hip: This is the widest part of your hip, across the hipbone. Measurement is taken approximately 7?9 inches below the natural waistline. The measurement is taken from side to side directly at the hip line
- Flare: This is the length of the flare of your dress. Flare is the bottom wide length of your dress.
- Strap to Hem: This measurement is obtained from the top of the strap down to the hem.
- Waist to Hem: The length measurement is obtained from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the hemline.
Pro Tip: If you are selling clothing online, sign up for the free size chart creator.?
Tips for Taking Measurements:
- Take all measurements lying flat. Do this on a clean floor or table. Hanging clothes can stretch as you measure and if you have them on a dress model of a different size this can skew your measurement.
- Use a flexible tape measure at least 36? long. Don?t try to take clothes measurements with a standard 12? ruler you?ll end up with an inaccurate measurement. If you have no tape measurement handy and this is somewhat of an emergency, you can always download a printable measuring online.
- Measure twice! If you don?t get the same measurement both times try again.
- Record measurement to the nearest inch. Anything more specific is irrelevant but remember lying flat measurements are generally doubled (e.g. lying flat waist of 12.5? can be understood as a 25? waist) so a inch could make a difference.
- Take measurements when you?re taking photos. Trying to measure as your listing at your desk ends up taking a lot more time and energy moving back and forth between tasks.
For visual learners, please check out the YouTube video below:
? SELLER PRO TIP ?
Create a Free Size Charts for a Dress ?
Cut your returns in half by accurately showing measurements in your listings. Creating size charts with Sizely takes seconds and saves you time in answering size related questions from your customers
Used by over 35,000 online sellers worldwide, Size.ly helps sellers illustrate sizing measurements.
- Cut returns in half & boost sales at the same time.
- Reduce the number sizing related questions from your customers.
- Works on any platform such as eBay, Poshmark, Etsy, Amazon & more.
- 220+ Designs across all categories.
- Imperial and metric system support for international buyers.
- Save, edit & share measurements in seconds.
Free Size Chart & Template Creator
Create Your Free Size Chart Now
Access over 220 Designs across all major eCommerce categories. 5 Star Reviewed.
Sizely Template Creator in Action
More tips & tricks
For more measurement guides and other seller tips visit our Blog.