If you see 100 percent disk usage on Windows 10 Task Manager, then it means something is malfunctioning in the device, which is causing the hard drive to overload. When this happens, your hard drive would not be able to work further, so you might see not responding PC sometimes along with this error. In such a case, your device becomes almost unable to use, and at that moment, you might be helpless. However, now you are here, and you will learn how to get rid of 100 % disk usage on Windows 10. Let?s get started.
Source: How to Fix 100 Percent Disk Usage on Windows 10
Ways to Troubleshoot 100 Percent Disk Usage on a Windows 10 PC
Method 1: Turn Off Windows Search
Windows Search is a process and task which can eat up a lot of hard disk usage, especially on the Windows 10 operating system. To check if it is the main cause of 100 percent disk usage, you have to turn it off for a while and, at the same time, open Task Manager to check the difference in disk usage. If nothing happens even after disabling it temporarily, then it means Windows Search is not affecting the Hard drive usage. To disable or turn off Windows Search, please go through the steps mentioned here:
- Head to Start Menu.
- Now type cmd.
- Right-click on cmd and then choose Run as administrator.
- Hit the Yes option.
- Command Prompt will appear over the display, and there you should type the net.exe stop ?Windows search? command.
- Press Enter to start the command.
- Now check the disk usage once the Windows Search is disabled. If the usage remains the same, then it means something else is using too much disk usage, and you need to find it.
Method 2: Updating Device Drivers
Missing drivers that help your hard drive to work at a maximum level can cause high disk usage even when you are not running too heavy tasks. To update your essential system drivers, Windows Update is a potent tool as it allows the system to download and install compatible system drivers with a single click. See the steps mentioned down below to fix the 100 percent disk usage on Windows 10 and 7:
- Navigate to the Start menu.
- Type Update.
- Select the Check for updates option from the results. (It is Windows Update in Windows 7)
- Once the Windows Update window appears, Press on Check for updates.
- The drivers will download and install automatically on Windows 10. On Windows 7, once the checking for available updates is completed, Press on Install Updates to start the download and installation.
While updating Windows, keep in mind that you use a powerful and stable internet connection because it will download all required drivers in much less time, and there will be no issues with the installation packages. When someone uses slow internet for Windows Update, the process sometimes takes several hours and even a day and more. Due to unstable and slow connection, sometime drivers and other software packages may get corrupted or may not download completely. The size of the update sometimes can be in several gigabytes.
Wrapping It Up
We hope that this article helped you to solve the Windows 10 disk 100 % disk usage error. Keeping your computer resources free from over usage is an idea that enhances product life and efficiency. Moreover, by maintaining the disk usage of a laptop or desktop, one can save the hard disk failure issues that may burn a hole in your pocket.
Becky Losby is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.