This Article Has Been Published First On: https://www.crampete.com/blogs/full-stack-developer-interview-tips-questions-and-answers/
A full stack developer is a unicorn in the world of web development. The full stack web developer must be an expert in front-end development, databases, and back-end development. It is one of the hottest and trending jobs in the current job scene and will be there for the next few years.
It is a long process to learn all the skills that makes you a full stack web developer. Once you are all done, the very next step is to ready your resume. A strong online portfolio will also help. Apart from this, the end result is of course to get a job as a full stack web developer. This blog is aimed at helping you understand what type of questions are asked in technical interviews and how to answer them.
Know that the salary of a full stack web developer is quite high when compared to other roles on the job market. This means that the competition for the job is going to be equally tough and you need to have an edge over others skills wise as well in interview.
Job profile of a full stack web developer
The job profile of a full stack web developer is varied and is not possible to have one listing to cover every skill. Each industry and team have different requirements and as such need a different skill set for each team.
Here we?ll try to get a common template that showcase some important and mostly common requirements for a full stack web developer.
Responsibilities of the full stack developer
Ideate software with the development team and product management.
Build front-end of applications that will be inspiring and visually appealing.
Develop and manage databases and back-end applications.
Design server side and client side architecture.
Test software to ensure efficiency and responsiveness.
Debug, and troubleshooting software when required.
Writing APIs when required. It should be effective.
Ensure data security and protection settings.
Read More : The Ultimate Guide to Full Stack Web Development.
Why choose to become a full stack web developer?
Interview- Questioning and Style
In this blog, we are going to explore questions that are related to the job profile of a full stack web developer. Some of the questions will be purely technical whereas some will along with the technical aspects also serve to assess your various other skills like communication, critical thinking, leadership, team and collaboration skills. Experience on working with open live projects also count, and not just job experiences. Try to get an internship or remote work as well if possible before applying for a job to get some experience. If you want frequently asked questions for HR interview, then check out our blog for the same.
Read More : The 2020 Road Map to Full Stack Web Development.
The questions that are asked in a technical interview are also of two broad types. A set of questions while testing your skills and domain knowledge will also be oriented to find your strengths, weaknesses and leadership along with experience.
The second type of questions are completely technical and concept oriented. They are not questions on coding but will test your domain knowledge in-depth.
?Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way.?
? Booker T. Washington
You do not have to know everything related to full stack web development, but you should be thorough with the skills that are being required for the post. If you have any knowledge or experience in the skills that are termed desirable, you?ll have an edge over your competition.
Your interviewer is not looking for perfection, but they will be on the lookout for the person who is job ready. And, this is something that you?ll have to work on to convince your interviewer. Keep your answers brief yet provide attention to details.
Before heading into the complete technical questions fielded by the interviewer, we?ll discuss some of the frequently asked questions on your performance and skills.
General questions asked in Interviews
1. What programming languages are you comfortable working with?State languages including HTML, CSS and JS. These are minimum requirements and you need to have more languages in your kitty. You can show knowledge of other languages like Python, Java, Ruby, and PHP etc.,
Learn Python course online, learn PHP course online with Crampete to upskill yourself.
2.Your favourite language and why?
State the language you like the most, the one you feel most comfortable in. State it?s pros and cons. Also give details on how this programming languages was used effectively by you in your work.
3. Which do you think is most important for a full stack developer?This is about any full stack web developer tool, technology or a skill that you feel is indispensable for a full stack web developer. Justify why you feel like that. Don?t argue with the interviewer if any follow up questions are asked.
4. What are you working on now?A good coder is always coding something or the other. Talk about your interests and other projects you are working on your own time along with your project.
5. How do you keep abreast of new developments and trends?Answer this question with care. Don?t throw about names that you?ve heard but know nothing about. There are new releases often and you don?t have to know everything. Learn some stuff about some recent technologies and say only those.
6. Do you work with any new technology?This is directly in relation with the previous question. The interviewer will try to trip you up. You select the one already mentioned in the previous answer and expound on it. Don?t do in-depth lecture on the subject.
7. What language and tools will you use to develop a project from scratch?This is a hypothetical question. The interviewer wants to assess you depth and insight on the complete process. Answer carefully for this question. Explain the workflow and design and your strategy to develop and complete the project. If you have worked on mobile application development with Java you can mention that as well. If you are interested in learning Java course online, check out our course page.
If you are looking to learn skills like ReactJs, Angular.js, or other programming languages, check out our Crampete modular programs.
8. Tell me about some project you have worked on. How did you select the tools and technologies involved?This is a question meant for experienced candidates. Explain succinctly what process you followed, why you selected that language and those tools and technologies. Explain the problems you faced during the development and how you managed to overcome the issues.
9. How do you deal with inefficient coding turned in by your team colleague?Please explain in some detail about the incident, but remember to put a positive spin on it. Reinforce that you handled in a positive way and there is no resentment from the other members. Finish by stating what you learnt from the episode.
10. What would you say was your best implementation experience till date?Here, talk about about the project or the issue you took charge of. Give details on what technologies you used and how solved the issues. What is the learning you brought away from this is important.
Now, let?s see a few questions on the technical side. Later we?ll list topics for you to study. The technical questions that can be asked are numerous and you need to prepare well to crack the technical interview.
Technical questions asked in interviews
1. What is multithreading?Improve CPU performance with multi-threading. A program can manage multiple requests with the same user and can manage many users at the same time. Multiple processes are executed at the same time to improve the performance.
2. What is continuous integration?
Merge the working copies of all developers to one shared mainline a few times a day. This helps with easy problem detection. You should know how this works.
3. Explain CORS?Cross-Origin Resource Sharing known as CORS, allows you to request for different resources from a different domain outside of the domain where the resource is originally from.
4. What is Pair-programming?This is to check if you know the concept and feel out how you react to it. This is an agile technique where you sit down and sort through the code with another coder.
5. What is inversion of control?This is a question designed to test your knowledge on design aspect of web development. The pattern is used for decoupling layers and components in a system.
6. How to reduce load time of web application?Minimize HTTP requests, optimizing images, reducing redirects, enabling browser caching are some methods to reduce the load time of web apps. You should be able to describe how these techs help in reducing time effectively.
7. What is long polling?Long polling is a development pattern that surpasses data from server to client. When the client sends a request, and the information requested is not available, the system waits and return a response rather than sending back empty requests.
8. What is an Application server?An application that lets you design and maintain server side as well as client side application. This is an important concept that you need to be familiar with.
9. What is Referential transparency?This is a way to replace expressions in a program without impacting the final result. It is an aspect of functional programming.
10. What tools would you use to test your code?s functionality?
Answer this according to your skills and the tools that you have previously used. Remember to explain in detail what you have used and how it solved your problems.
Domains where the questions might be asked from
? and many more. To have an idea of what might be tested in the interview, look through the job profile where the requirements are specified.
What is the next step?
So you have successfully prepared for the interview. Go to the venue a bit early. Be smartly dressed. While giving the interview, speak clearly and concisely. At the same time, explain important experiences in detail.
Following up on the interview
Once you are done with the interview ,shoot off an email to the recruiter thanking them for the opportunity and ending with a ?looking forward to hearing from you?. Send a follow up mail the next week and two consecutive weeks. If there is no response, you?ve been ghosted. If you get a reply, then wait and proceed to the next step.
Takeaways from the article
- Know the general responsibilities of the full stack web developer.
- Know the type of interview questions asked in general and how to answer them.
- Learn what topics and skills that you will be tested on technical interview with some sample questions.