Working with questions to change subconscious thought patterns.
I was first introduced to afformations shortly after I qualified in Health Kinesiology. I had seen the power of affirmations in my growing practice, especially when combined with energy work & muscle testing. Louise Hay books became well thumbed and a constant go-to source for wisdom and inspiration, so when I read of afformations I was naturally curious and keen to know more.
Noah St. John birthed the idea of afformations after his own attempts at manifesting with affirmations had seemingly been fruitless; experiencing great resistance and disbelief when saying out loud the positive present-tense sentences. He pondered:
?If human thought is the process of asking and searching for answers to questions, why are we going around making statements we don?t believe? I somehow knew that if we started asking ourselves better questions instead of saying statements we didn?t believe, it would change everything? When you ask a question, your mind automatically begins to search for an answer. Empowering questions unleash your ability to take action. The answers to empowering questions produce feelings of positive self-worth and ultimately lead to answers that tell the truth about Who You Really Are.? ? Noah St. John
Why are they called afformations?
The word form comes from the Latin word formare, which means ?to form or give shape to.? When we ask questions of others or ourselves ? whether positive or negative ? we are inviting new thought patterns, which then begin to form a new framework for how we see and experience life.
Why do all Afformations start with the word ?why??
?Two basic forces govern human behaviour: The Why and The How. The Why is your motive or ?Why-To? of doing something. The How is your method or ?how-to? of doing it. Have you ever noticed that you can know how to do something, but never let yourself do it? There are hundreds of things you could do right now that you choose not to do. You have the how of doing these things, but of course you don?t have the why of doing them. This means motive always trumps method, which means The Why always trumps The How ? and that is why Afformations start with the word ?Why?. ? Noah St. John.
Let?s get to some examples!
Afformations on Health and Wellbeing
- Why am I so healthy?
- Why do I take responsibility for my health?
- Why do I take such good care of myself?
- Why do I treat my body with love?
Afformations on Love and Intimacy
- Why do I let myself be open to love?
- Why am I safe to love and be loved?
- Why is my life totally filled with Love?
- Why are my relationships so loving and healthy?
Afformations on Relationships
- Why do I invest my energy in people wisely?
- Why do I have such a strong support network?
- Why does my family seek to understand me?
- Why do I mirror the best in others?
Afformations on Spirituality
- Why do I give and receive in joyful abundance?
- Why do I have so many gifts to share with the world?
- Why is it so easy for me to be and express Who I Really Am?
- Why do I let my true light shine through in everything I say and do?
Now it?s over to you?
The Afformations Method
- Identify what you want, and write it down.
- Form your desire into a question that assumes that what you want is already true. This step is the key to creating Afformations that could create change. Here we are taking what has been unconscious (hidden) and make it conscious (visible), and take what is negative (disempowering) and make it positive (empowering). Essentially, we ask ourselves ?Why is [what I want] true in my life now??
- Give yourself to the question. This is counterintuitive, but the point of Afformations is not to answer the questions you ask. With Afformations we are using the mind in a new way ? to focus on what you have instead of what you lack.
- Take new actions based on your new assumptions about life.
Afformations are part of my Energy Cleanse and Transformation for Change Makers programs. If you would like a helping hand with starting out, jump into our Facebook group, leave a message on the thread and I shall personally muscle test and intuit some individualised afformations for you. Alternatively, please comment here. I look forward to connecting with you!
Reference: The Complete Afformations Guidebook: 28 Days To A More Abundant Lifestyle by Noah St. John.