Who is a DevOps Engineer? ? Edureka
There is a lot of misconception regarding ? Who is a DevOps Engineer? Is he the guy who writes code and is also responsible for the work of a System Engineer? Well! Not exactly. In this post, I will clear all your doubts regarding the roles and responsibilities of a DevOps Engineer.
But before we move forward let me give you a quick introduction to what is DevOps?
What is DevOps?
DevOps is a software development strategy which bridges the gap between the developers and the IT staff. With DevOps, organizations can release small features very quickly and incorporate the feedback which they receive, very quickly. Following are some other benefits:
- Fewer Software Failure
- Shortened lead time between fixes
It overcomes all the limitations of the traditional waterfall model. DevOps process involves a lot of development, testing and deployment technologies for developing automated CI/ CD pipelines. Following are some of the famous DevOps tools:
- Git and GitHub ? Source code management (Version Control System)
- Jenkins ? Automation server, with plugins built for developing CI/ CD pipelines
- Selenium ? Automation testing
- Docker ? Software Containerization Platform
- Kubernetes ? Container Orchestration tool
- Puppet ? Configuration Management and Deployment
- Chef ? Configuration Management and Deployment
- Ansible ? Configuration Management and Deployment
- Nagios ? Continuous Monitoring
Now, let us understand who is a DevOps Engineer?
Who is a DevOps Engineer?
DevOps Engineer is somebody who understands the Software Development Lifecycle and has the outright understanding of various automation tools for developing digital pipelines (CI/ CD pipelines).
But the question still endures ? Who is a DevOps Engineer? ?
DevOps Engineer works with developers and the IT staff to oversee the code releases. They are either developers who get interested in deployment and network operations or sysadmins who have a passion for scripting and coding and move into the development side where they can improve the planning of test and deployment.
But what will be your role in a company? Let?s look at the various DevOps Job Roles.
DevOps Job Roles and Responsibilities:
Let me first list down the various roles along with their description.
- DevOps Evangelist ? The principal officer (leader) responsible for implementing DevOps
- Release Manager ? The one releasing new features & ensuring post-release product stability
- Automation Expert ? The guy responsible for achieving automation & orchestration of tools
- Software Developer/ Tester ? The one who develops the code and tests it
- Quality Assurance ? The one who ensures the quality of the product confims to its requirement
- Security Engineer ? The one always monitoring the product?s security & health
Now that you know who is a DevOps Engineer, and what are the various roles and responsibilities of a DevOps Engineer, let us have a look at what does it take to become a successful DevOps Engineer ? DevOps Skills.
We are going to look a DevOps Engineer job description from Rackspace to understand what industries demand from a DevOps Engineer.
DevOps Engineer Skills ? DevOps Job Description:
Key takeaways from the job description ( DevOps Skills Required):
- Knowledge of one cloud platform (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Good hands-on knowledge of Configuration Management and Deployment tools like ? Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Terraform etc.
- Proficient in scripting, and Git and Git workflows
- Experience in developing Continuous Integration/ Continuous Delivery pipelines (CI/ CD)
Well, I am pretty sure a lot of you must be wondering what the salary of a DevOps Engineer is, let me address that doubt of yours in the next section.
DevOps Engineer Salary:
Well, DevOps Engineer is one of the most highly paid job roles in the world. Obviously, salary depends on multiple factors like ? company, skills, geography etc.
Salary estimated from 18,434 employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.
Development Operations Engineer salaries by company in the United States:
I hope you have enjoyed my post on DevOps Engineer. If you wish to check out more articles on the market?s most trending technologies like Artificial Intelligence, Python, Ethical Hacking, then you can refer to Edureka?s official site.
Do look out for other articles in this series which will explain the various other aspects of DevOps.
1. DevOps Tutorial
2. Git Tutorial
3. Jenkins Tutorial
4. Docker Tutorial
5. Ansible Tutorial
6. Puppet Tutorial
7. Chef Tutorial
8. Nagios Tutorial
9. How To Orchestrate DevOps Tools?
10. Continuous Delivery
11. Continuous Integration
12. Continuous Deployment
13. Continuous Delivery vs Continuous Deployment
14. CI CD Pipeline
15. Docker Compose
16. Docker Swarm
17. Docker Networking
18. Ansible Vault
19. Ansible Roles
20. Ansible for AWS
21. Jenkins Pipeline
22. Top Docker Commands
23. Git vs GitHub
24. Top Git Commands
25. DevOps Interview Questions
26. DevOps Life cycle
27. Git Reflog
28. Ansible Provisioning
29. Top DevOps Skills That Organizations Are Looking For
30.Waterfall vs Agile
31. Maven For Building Java Applications
32. Jenkins CheatSheet
33. Ansible Cheat Sheet
34. Ansible Interview Questions And Answers
35. 50 Docker Interview Questions
36. Agile Methodology
37. Jenkins Interview Questions
38. Git Interview Questions
39. Docker Architecture
40. Linux commands Used In DevOps
41. Jenkins vs Bamboo
Originally published at https://www.edureka.co on October 24, 2016.