FAQ on Technical Writing
Technical communication is a field that includes any following form of communication that can help users to accomplish a defined goal or task. The main purpose of technical communication is to assist users who need specific information on completing tasks, using products, operating equipment, and so on. It also helps business in different ways:
- To be more productive and consumer-oriented.
- Employers set goals properly, understand and complete the tasks successfully.
- Technical communication provides background, so employers can get new ideas.
Technical communication is not only about manuals and instructions, as you could think, it includes any form of communication, for example:
- Communicating by using technology, such as help files, web pages, and even social media.
- Communicating about technical topics.
- Providing instructions on how to use a product in the form of documentation.
Technical communicators work in different spheres and make information accessible to people who need it:
- Product manuals help users to achieve the desired goal easily.
- Training programs provide people with new skills.
- Medical instructions help health stuff provide the treatment properly, reducing risks associated with incorrect care.
- Usability studies help to find issues with a product and make it more user-friendly.
- And more.
As technical communication is part of different spheres, keep in mind that technical communication is not expressive writing, journalistic writing, or creative literature. It does not use vague literary references. The language of technical communication is dry, clear and concise to help people get the main idea quickly.
Here is a list of specialists who work in the technical communication field:
- Technical Writers & Editors.
- Instructional Designers.
- Information Architects.
- Globalization & Localization Specialists.
- Technical Illustrators.
- And more.
What?s the difference between technical communication and technical writing? Technical communication and technical writing are basically the same things. Technical communication is a new term that includes not only creating documentation but also user experience design, instructional design, creating training programs, technical illustrations, and the like. Both fields share the same goal of creating clear and concise content that helps users to achieve specific goals.
Technical communication is a field that makes our life easier and more productive. And if you?re interested in this field as a professional, subscribe to the publication called Technical Writing is Easy where tech writers share their experience and skills.