Important Hair Care Steps After Perm and Permed hair aftercare Tips
- 48 hours of waiting before washing hair after perm myth
- Do I have to wait 48 hours to wash my hair after a perm?
- How to care about permed hair?
- How to make permed hair last long and to give proper care to your vulnerable hair:
- Tips to help you to prepare your hair for the procedure:
48 hours of waiting before washing hair after perm myth
Perm may give absolutely magical results for the women who love to have curly or wavy hair every day. You can choose the exact way you want your hair to look, whether it is hard curls or loose wave perm, and the stylist will make it for you.
But to be sure you will get the right result and it will last long it?s better to know some tips about perm aftercare.
Do I have to wait 48 hours to wash my hair after a perm?
Washing hair and taking care of it after the perm is a common subject of discussion. One of the most common myths is that you have to wait 48 hours after a perm before using shampoo. Otherwise, your hair may be damaged and the curls would disappear or become uneven.
Another myth is that you should not use the hairdryer to dry your hair for a couple of weeks. Also, it is said that you should not brush hair or make any hairstyles for up to one week.
And there is a truth in all these recommendations.
Although the modern perm is relatively harmless, it is still great stress for the hair. The impact of the chemicals that are used to change the structure of the hair is significant. The chemicals used for perm destroy some keratin chains within a hair to change its shape. The hair becomes fragile and requires proper care to stay healthy and to keep the shape the perm gives it.
Any harmful impact should be avoided within the next two days, including the washing. It is better to use some dry shampoo if needed instead of washing. You may also apply some hair conditioner (use only the products recommended for permed hair) on your hair and wash it with warm water.
Another reason to avoid washing and any other procedures within a couple of days after the perm is the neutralizer that is used to form the curls has to complete the process. Although the main part of the chemicals work is finished within 15?20 minutes before they were washed away by the hairstylist in the salon, it is recommended to let the process be completely finished within 48 hours.
It is important to follow the recommendations of the professional hairstylist to be sure the final result will stay as long as possible and the curls won?t be ruined or loosened. Here are some of the common recommendations about hair care after perm.
How to care about permed hair?
How to make permed hair last long and to give proper care to your vulnerable hair:
- Use shampoo on your hair only after 48 hours after the perm.
- It is critically important to use only shampoo that is recommended by your stylist. Shampoo should be meant specially for permed hair. Shampoos made for chemical treatment aftercare contain gentle ingredients that won?t harm your hair and will keep the effect longer.
- Use a conditioner after washing. The conditioner prevents tangling and closes the cuticles. Conditioner should also be recommended specially for permed hair.
- Do not brush your hair within 48 hours! It is better to not comb wet hair at all. Start to comb at the ends of the hair, gently detangling it to the top.
- A hairdryer will damage your hair and may destroy the effect! It is better to air dry your hair. In case you need to use the hairdryer, be sure you are using a diffuser and a cool setting.
- Gently use a towel on your hair after washing to avoid breaking and tangling.
- Avoid making hairstyles like ponytail within 1?2 days. It may ruin the shape of your curls and damage the hair.
- Moisturizing is important. Treat your hair with the products that are made specially for the permed hair. They won?t relax the curls and will take care of the condition of the hair.
- Trim your ends once in 3?4 weeks. It will help to keep the hair healthier and the curls will be bouncier.
- Be sure to protect your hair from UV rays. Cover your hair to reduce the sunlight impact and make sure your daily care products contain UV-filters.
- Protect your hair if you go to the pool. Chlorine may damage your perm and affect your hair health.
Following these recommendations and your stylist advice will make the effect last longer and your hair will successfully adjust to the chemical treatment without losing its health.
What to do and what to avoid before perm?
Tips to help you to prepare your hair for the procedure:
- Do not wash hair before perm. It will be washed at the salon before the procedure.
- Gently brush your hair and avoid any scratching or scalp stimulations before the perm. This will help to prevent the burn.
- Do not trim or color your hair!
- Moisturize your hair deeply 1?2 days before the procedure. Have a consultation with your hairstylist about what product or procedure to choose for deep moisturizing before the perm.
- Do not apply any hair products on the hair on the day of perm.
- It is better to wait at least 6 months after the last chemical treatment. The perm usually lasts 2?6 months. Please make sure you tell your stylist when you?ve had the last procedure.
It is important to remember that the perm is significant stress for the hair. To help your curls last longer and your hair to adjust for the chemicals you should follow the advice of your hairstylist. Be sure to avoid shampooing and don?t tie your hair within 2 days.
Use the hair products, recommended for hair after chemical treatment. Minimize the harmful effect of hairdryer, sun, chlorine. Don?t forget to properly moisturize and trim your hair. Good aftercare will extend the joy of having curls and will help you to protect the beauty and health of your hair.