Pubs that actually accept submissions and publish regularly
There are a few useful websites that rank Medium?s leading publications.
Ranking publications is great but many of those pubs now remain inactive as they no longer accept submissions from writers.
We wanted to bring together a continuously updated list of Medium?s most-followed and active publications that also accept submissions from new writers.
We?ll be revising this list every month to make sure it is up to date. A few highlights on what has been happening on top of that list recently:
- Matter (1,035,196 followers) remains inactive since December 12, 2016.
- FreeCodeCamp (583,111 followers) left Medium.
- The Mission (526,570 followers) no longer publishes regularly.
- HackerNoon (452,949 followers) is soon leaving Medium.
- Personal Growth (423,997 followers) & Startup Grind (378,597 followers) either have removed public submission links or do not publish regularly anymore.
Here are Medium?s Top 10 most-followed & active publications in 2019:
1. The Startup ? 452,478 followers
- Growing: 361 followers per day
- Publication url: https://medium.com/swlh
- How to submit your story to The Startup: https://medium.com/swlh/when-one-upvote-is-worth-a-thousand-visitors-3e8ed27bcd3e
- Topics we love: technology, entrepreneurship, productivity, life lessons
- Highlights: We are finally beginning to grow our team so we can help more writers reach our audience. We accept unpublished drafts only and prioritize Medium Partner Program stories over free ones. You can find everything you need to know on our submission guidelines here.
2. Better Humans? 304,574 followers
- Growing: 212 followers per day
- Publication url: https://medium.com/better-humans
- How to submit your story to Better Humans: https://medium.com/better-humans/write-for-better-humans-4c6c9884fc08
- Topics they love: personal expertise ? here?s their style guide.
- Highlights: Better Humans only publishes articles by writers who have personal experience with the advice they?re giving in their articles. They don?t accept thought-pieces, philosophy, or news. Every writer for Better Humans is paid ? they pay a flat fee ? usually $500 ? for professional-quality articles, when they are published.
3. UX Collective ? 262,434 followers
- Growing: 217 followers per day
- Publication url: https://uxdesign.cc/
- How to submit your story to UX Collective: https://uxdesign.cc/submit-your-article-to-uxdesign-cc-abea95d3a1ba
- Topics they love: user experience design, usability, interaction design, prototyping, product design
- Highlights: It?s the largest design publication on Medium. To submit a story, you can email them at firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your Medium draft or published article along with a one-sentence description. They don?t accept articles in other formats.
4. Towards Data Science ? 215,152 followers
- Growing: 437 followers per day
- Publication url: https://towardsdatascience.com/
- How to submit your story to Towards Data Science: https://towardsdatascience.com/contribute/home
- Topics they love: data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, and other adjacent scientific fields such as cognitive science
- Highlights: Towards Data Science is one of the fastest growing publications on Medium. To become a writer, you can send your article (they prefer to receive a link to a Medium draft) here: email@example.com.
5. UX Planet? 199,758 followers
- Growing: 172 followers per day
- Publication url: https://uxplanet.org/
- How to submit your story to UX Planet: https://uxplanet.org/how-to-publish-your-content-on-ux-planet-fd9dc99756db
- Topics they love: user experience, user interface design, usability, interaction design, prototyping, product design
- Highlights: You can send your draft or link to the published article to firstname.lastname@example.org via email, with a short description (one-two sentences) of what your article is about.
6. The Writing Cooperative ? 156,985 followers
- Growing: 133 followers per day
- Publication url: https://writingcooperative.com/
- How to submit your story to The Writing Cooperative: https://writingcooperative.com/the-writing-cooperative-submission-requirements-364b0fea36cd
- Topics they love: writing, editing, publishing, creativity
- Highlights: The Writing Cooperative is a community of people who help each other write better. They publish articles that help writers improve their craft. New writers can request to contribute by filling out their Writer Request Form.
7. P.S. I Love You ? 125,913 followers
- Growing: 109 followers per day
- Publication url: https://psiloveyou.xyz/
- How to submit your story to PS. I Love You: https://psiloveyou.xyz/p-s-i-love-you-submissions-guidelines-9a7974fe532
- Topics they love: your piece to be, on some level, about love
- Highlights: If you?re a new writer, you can send a link to your draft (along with an introduction, your Medium username, and links to previously published works) to email@example.com.
8. Human Parts ? 99,353 followers
- Growing: 77.8 followers per day
- Publication url: https://humanparts.medium.com/
- How to submit your story to Human Parts: https://humanparts.medium.com/about
- Topics they love: your piece to be, on some level, about love
- Highlights: Human Parts is one of Medium?s in-house publications. You can pitch your story to one of their editors and get paid for your commissioned story.
9. Slackjaw ? 88,711 followers
- Growing: 46 followers per day
- Publication url: https://medium.com/slackjaw
- How to submit your story to Slackjaw: https://medium.com/slackjaw/guidelines-for-slackjaw-submissions-f720ea4e1dfe
- Topics they love: humor
- Highlights: Slackjaw is probably one of the best humor publications out there. To submit a piece to Slackjaw, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org with a private link to your Medium draft.
10. The Ascent? 61,045 followers
- Growing: 81 followers per day
- Publication url: https://theascent.pub/
- How to submit a story to The Ascent: https://www.notion.so/Ascent-Submission-Guidelines-08ce7f0d33044d6a8dd9b2d7533ffe84
- Topics they love: life lessons, first-hand accounts, and personal experiences
- Highlights: A community of storytellers documenting the journey to success. They publish both free and paid stories.
OUR MOST POPULAR ESSAYS ON WRITING WELL:1. Write to express, not to impress18 quick fixes to sharpen your writing.2. How we got 11.3 million pageviews without the growth hacking bullsh*tGrowth begins with words.3. Grammar cheat sheet for clean, clear, and compelling writing30 tips to tighten up your grammar skills.4. 16 tricks to turn your Medium drafts into beautiful looking storiesA mini-guide to formatting your writing5. If you learn to write, you can change your life.The secret is in the line.6. How much money can you actually make writing articles on Medium?A realistic look at how much Medium?s Partner Program pays writers7. How to start a blog in the most cluttered marketplace in historyYou don’t own your audience.