Big Trouble in Little China, John Carpenter?s cult classic, has made it to Netflix and with negotiations in the works with Dwayne ?The Rock? Johnson starring in a remake of the film and according to The Wrap, Big Trouble in Little China is reported to be one of ?The Rock?s? favorite movies, and who can blame him.
Big Trouble, which only grossed $11 million dollars, starred Kurt Russell as Jack Burton, the fast talking truck driver that gets caught up in a century?s old mystical battle in China Town. The movie also features Kim Catrell as Gracie Law, an attorney set on exposing Lo Pan ?a mystical figure- who also finders herself in the thick of it when she tries to rescue a girl at the airport.
Jack Burton and his friend Wang Chi [Dennis Dunn] head to the airport to pick up Wang?s girlfriend Miao Yin, a Chinese girl with green eyes, when she is kidnapped by the Chinese street gang Lords of Death and taken to Lo Pan?s warehouse. Lo Pan, who needs a girl with green eyes to become mortal again, must marry, then sacrifice Miao to the God?s in order to break his curse from Ching Dai and rule the universe from beyond the grave, ?or check into a psycho ward,? as Jack says.
Truly an amazing film with some memorable dialogue, mostly spoken by Jack Burton [Kurt Russell?s character], and no remake will come close to the original, however, if a remake is in the works, let?s hope that Jack Burton?s 16 best lines are included. In no particular order:
1. Jack Burton: Everybody relax, I?m here
2. Jack Burton: I?m a reasonable guy. But, I?ve just experienced some very unreasonable things
3. Jack Burton: Oh, my god, no. Please! What is that? Don?t tell me!
Oh, my god, no. Please! What is that? Don?t tell me!
4. Jack Burton: What the hell does that mean? huh? China is here, I don?t even know what the hell that means, all I know is this ?Lo Pan? character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just stands there waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with light coming out of his mouth!?
5. Jack Burton: I?m gonna tell you about an accident, and I don?t wanna hear ?act of God?!
6. Egg Shen: You will come out no more! Jack Burton: What? Huh? What?ll come out no more? Egg Shen: Come on. Jack Burton: Dammit!
What? Huh? What?ll come out no more?
7. Lo Pan: Then Ching Dai will be happy and my curse will be lifted! Jack Burton: And go off to rule the universe from beyond the grave. Lo Pan: Indeed! Jack Burton: Or check into a psycho ward, whichever comes first huh?
8. Jack Burton: This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I?m talkin? to whoever?s listenin? out there.
9. Jack Burton: Which Lo Pan? Little old basket case on wheels or the ten foot tall roadblock?
10. Jack Burton: [speaking to Lo Pan] Are you crazy? Is that your problem?
11. Gracie: I?d go with you but? Jack Burton: I know, there?s a problem with your face
12. Jack Burton: Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we?re not back by dawn? call the president.
13. Jack Burton: I took something. I can see things no one else can see. Why?re you dressed like that?
14. Jack Burton: 1,2,3?We Maybe Trapped.
15. Jack Burton: Like I told my last wife, I says, ?Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it?s all in the reflexes.?
16. Jack Burton: Just remember what ol? Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol? storm right square in the eye and he says, ?Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.