There are 26 different poses that comprise Bikram Yoga. These poses are also known as Asanas. By practicing all of these yoga poses an individual can not only exercise but invigorate the whole of the body. Each of these yoga poses can stimulate various glands within the body and they also help in rejuvenating different nerves as well as organs. The reason behind that is these poses improve the circulation of blood across the body.
However, before you start doing any of these poses, do consider the following points:
- It is important to breathe calmly while you do different poses of Bikram Yoga.
- The beginners at this yoga need weeks or months before their body starts to move entirely according to the poses.
- It is highly recommended that you do all these poses in front of the mirror.
- For additional comfort and safety, you will need a top quality yoga mat for practice.
- All of the standing poses will warm up your body while the floor poses stretch, squeeze and twist different parts of your body.
- For supporting the spine during those twisted poses, you have to keep your abdominal muscles engaged all the time.
- The ideal temperature to perform all these poses is 107F but you can go for a cooler place too.
THE 26 BIKRAM ASANAS
1. STANDING DEEP BREATHING ? PRANAYAMA
Before you start your session of Bikram Yoga, you can start with the Pranayama (Standing Deep Breathing) pose.
Standing Deep Breathing ? Pranayama
- Expand your lungs
- Improve the detoxification of all your organs
- Boost your mental relaxation along with the blood flow
- Relax your muscle
Click and watch the video demonstration of Pranayama
2. THE HALF-MOON POSE-ARDHA-CHANDRASANA
The Half Moon can strengthen all the muscles in the core of your body particularly your abdomen region.
The Half-Moon Pose-Ardha-Chandrasana
- Strengthen all the muscles in the core of your body particularly your abdomen region
- Flex as well as strengthen your latissimus dorsi along with deltoid, trapezius, and oblique muscles
- Very helpful in boosting the flexibility of your spine too from your coccyx to your neck
- Promote adequate kidney function and it will also cure or prevent any enlargement of your spleen and liver
- Rim and firm your waistline along with your abdomen, hips thighs, and buttocks
Click and watch the video demonstration of Ardha-Chandrasana
3. THE SIT-UP POSE ? PADA-HASTHASANA
This pose is for the stretching of your spine and it also increases your flexibility.
The Sit-up Pose ? Pada-Hasthasana
- Stretch your spine and increase flexibility
- Trim and firm the lower body
- Increase spinal mobility
- Work on the muscles, as well as tendons and ligaments of legs and, boosts the blood circulation
Click and watch the video demonstration of Pada-Hasthasana
4. THE AWKWARD POSE-UTKATASANA
Utkatasana has a tendency to shape and tone your legs effectively.
The Awkward Pose-Utkatasana
- Shape and tone your legs effectively
- Heal those chronic cold feet
- Help in relieving rheumatism as well as arthritis within the legs and it will assist you in curing slipped discs
- Relief from inflammation of the lower body
Click and watch the video demonstration of Utkatasana
5. THE EAGLE POSE-GARUDASANA
Garudasana is your only Bikram Yoga posture that can open up all of the fourteen largest joints in your skeletal system.
The Eagle Pose-Garudasana
- Supply fresh blood within your reproductive system
- Boosts sexual vitality
- Clear up any reproductive problems
- Enhanced joint flexibility
Click and watch the video demonstration of Garudasana
6. THE HEAD-TO-KNEE POSE ? DANDAYAMANA-JANUSHIRASANA
Dandayamana-Janushirasana boosts the flexibility of your sciatic nerves.
The Head-to-Knee Pose- Dandayamana-Janushirasana
- Strengthen hamstrings along with the leg muscles
- Work your muscles in the back as well as biceps and triceps
- Help in squeezing or flushing out all internal organs in the abdomen
- Good for your ovaries and uterus
- Enhance your concentration
Click and watch the video demonstration of Dandayamana-Janushirasana
7. THE STANDING BOW POSE- DANDAYAMANA-DHANURASANA
Dandayamana-Janushirasana shifts back and forth your entire blood from one side to the other in your body.
The Standing Bow Pose- Dandayamana-Dhanurasana
- Develop balance and can increase the elasticity as well as the size of your rib cage
- Firm your abdominal wall along with upper thighs
- Improve the overall strength and flexibility of your lower spine
- Build determination, concentration, and patience
- Protection against lower back pain
- Better balance
Click and watch the video demonstration of Dandayamana-Dhanurasana
8. THE BALANCING STICK POSE ? TULADANDASANA
Tuladandasana needs full balance and concentration.
The Balancing Stick Pose- Tuladandasana
- Enhanced blood flow
- Strengthen up your heart muscles
- Improved your concentration levels
- Increased concentration
Click and watch the video demonstration of Tuladandasana
9. THE STANDING SEPARATE LEG STRETCHING POSE- DANDAYAMANA-BIBHAKTAPADA-PASCHIMOTTHANASANA
This yoga pose is very similar to the kryptonite in sciatica. This pose can stretch and strengthen your shriveled and crushed sciatic nerves.
The Standing Separate Leg Stretching Pose- Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimotthanasana
- Good for your internal organs in the abdomen along with your intestines
- Enhance flexibility in your ankles and pelvis along with your hip joints
- Relief from sciatic pain
- Improve internal organ health
Click and watch the video demonstration of Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Paschimotthanasana
10. THE TRIANGLE POSE- TRIKONASANA
This pose can improve all bones, muscles, joints, tendons, and internal organs.
The Triangle Pose- Trikonasana
- Revitalize your nerves, tissues, and veins
- Strengthen and flex the bottom five vertebrae in the pose can alleviate any of those crooked spines
- Take care of lower back pains and rheumatism
- Benefit your lungs and heart and can force them to work in tandem
- Increase the flexibility of your hip and shoulder
Click and watch the video demonstration of Trikonasana
11. THE STANDING SEPARATE LEG HEAD TO KNEE POSE- DANDAYAMANA-BIBHAKTAPADA-JANUSHIRASANA
This pose can trim your waistline, abdomen, buttocks, hips, as well as thighs.
The Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose- Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana
- Compress and massage your thyroid gland
- Regulate your immune system as well as your metabolism
- Improve your concentration
Click and watch the video demonstration of Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana
12. THE TREE POSE- TADASANA
Tadasana makes your posture better as well as your balance.
The Tree Pose- Tadasana
- Better balance and posture
- flex knee and ankles along with your hip joints
- Strengthen your internal muscles (oblique)
- Greater concentration levels
- Save you from hernia issues
Click and watch the video demonstration of Tadasana
13. THE TOE STAND ? PADANGUSTASANA
Among the difficult poses, the Toe Stand can strengthen your knees and it is therapeutic for the rheumatism of your ankles, knees as well as feet.
The Toe Stand- Padangustasana
- Open up your hip and knee joints
- Help in curing various hemorrhoid problems
- Developmental strength
- Flex the feet, hips, and knees
Click and watch the video demonstration of Padangustasana
14. THE DEAD BODY POSE ? SAVASANA
This pose can facilitate strong blood flow, which can create internal cleansing. This pose can help you with relaxation.
The Dead Body Pose- Savasana
- Improve blood flow throughout all your body
- Promote total relaxation of your body
- Reduce the stress level
Click and watch the video demonstration of Savasana
15. THE WIND-REMOVINGPOSE ? PAVANAMUKTASANA
Pavanamuktasana can compress and massage your ascending along with descending colon.
The Wind-Removing Pose- Pavanamuktasana
- Strengthen your arms
- Prevent flatulence
- Improve your hip flexibility
- Firm your thighs and abdomen
- Massage your transverse colon
- Compress your digestive system
- Increased blood flow within the lower body
Click and watch the video demonstration of Pavanamuktasana
16. THE COBRA POSE ? BHUJANGASANA
This pose can strengthen your lumbar spine and can relieve pain.
The Cobra Pose- Bhujangasana
- Combat herniated discs or scoliosis
- Improve digestion and appetite
- Get rid of menstrual disorders
- Raise low blood pressure
- Bring you a stronger spine
Click and watch the video demonstration of Bhujangasana
17. THE LOCUST POSE ? SALABHASANA
Salabhasana works very similarly to the Cobra Pose.
The Locust Pose- Salabhasana
- Better for slipped discs or sciatica
- Improve your upper spine
- Provide you relief from tennis elbow
- Ease lower back pain
Click and watch the video demonstration of Salabhasana
18. THE FULL LOCUST POSE ? POORNA-SALABHASANA
This pose is similar to Salabhasana.
The Full Locust Pose- Poorna-Salabhasana
- Increase the strength in your mid-spine.
- It is excellent for your kyphosis, scoliosis, slipped discs and spondylosis.
- Improve flexibility of your upper back and shoulders
Click and watch the video demonstration of Poorna-Salabhasana
19. THE BOW POSE ? DHANURASANA
Dhanurasana stretches the back and shoulders.
The Bow Pose- Dhanurasana
- Open up your rib cage
- Revitalize all your spinal nerves with increased circulation and strengthened spine
- Fully expand your lungs
- Strengthen your back, spine, shoulders, and core muscle
Click and watch the video demonstration of Dhanurasana
20. THE FIXED FIRM POSE ? SUPTA-VAJRASANA
Supta-Vajrasana can strengthen and improve your lower spine?s flexibility.
The Fixed Firm Pose- Supta-Vajrasana
- Improve your knees, ankles and hip joints.
- The circulation in your lower limbs increases and chances of hernia are reduced.
- Protect against herniated discs
Click and watch the Video demonstration of Supta-Vajrasana
21. THE HALF TORTOISE POSE ? ARDHA-KURMASANA
Ardha-Kurmasana can help you in living longer.
The Half Tortoise Pose- Ardha-Kurmasana
- The pose is very useful for tense shoulders and necks
- Increase the blood circulation to your brain.
- Enhance your memory as well as your mental clarity.
- Improve your breath
Click and watch the video demonstration of Ardha-Kurmasana
22. THE CAMEL POSE ? USTRASANA
Ustrasana can create max compression of your spine.
The Camel Pose- Ustrasana
- Stimulate your nervous system
- Improve your spine and neck?s flexibility
- Relieve your backache
- Help to reduce spinal problems including cervical spondylosis and kyphoscoliotic deformities
- Flex your back, neck, and shoulders
Click and watch the video demonstration of Ustrasana
23. THE RABBIT POSE ? SASANGASANA
Sasangasana is similar to Ustrasana but stretches your muscles in the opposite direction.
The Rabbit Pose- Sasangasana
- The max extension of your spine in this pose can increase mobility as well as elasticity
- Increase mobility on your back muscles
Click and watch the video demonstration of Sasangasana
24. THE HEAD TO KNEE POSE & STRETCHING POSE ? JANUSHIRASANA & PASCHIMOTTHANASANA
Janushirasana & Paschimotthanasana is best suited for your lymphatic and immune systems.
The Head to Knee Pose & Stretching Pose- Janushirasana & Paschimotthanasana
- Increase blood circulation through your liver, thyroid, pancreas, thymus, intestines
- Relieve joint pain
- Ease sciatic pain
- Flex the last five vertebrae of the spine
Click and watch the video demonstration of Janushirasana & Paschimotthanasana
25. THE SPINE-TWISTING POSE- ARDHA-MATSYENDRASANA
Ardha-Matsyendrasana is the only one that can twist your spine.
The Spine-Twisting Pose- Ardha-Matsyendrasana
- Increase blood circulation to all the tissues, nerves, and veins
- Improve your spine?s elasticity
- Relieve back pain
Click and watch the video demonstration of Ardha-Matsyendrasana
26. THE BLOWING IN FIRM POSE ? KAPALBHATI IN VAJRASANA
Kapalbhati in Vajrasana involves deep breathing.
The Blowing in Firm Pose- Kapalbhati in Vajrasana
- Improve blood circulation and digestion
- Increase the overall elasticity of your lungs
- Push out all carbon dioxide and will replace it with oxygen
- Remove bodily toxins
Click and watch the video demonstration of Kapalbhati in Vajrasana