What is a double ended (DE) grow light? Double ended grow lights, sometimes referred to as grow lamps, are High Intensity Discharge (HID) grow lights that operate at ultra high frequencies. Thus, the temperature and operating current are well balanced and much more constant.
These lights utilize High Pressure Sodium (HPS), Metal Halide (MH), or Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH). While quite effective, these grow lights are no longer the most efficient on the market.
Double Ended Grow Lights
Double Ended grow lights are just like the HPS and MH bulbs you know and love, only they?re much brighter than their single-ended counterparts. If you check out these bulbs you?ll see that they?re much skinnier than standard HID?s and they don?t screw into a socket. Due to the structure of the bulb, it doesn?t have to be as large to house the arc tube and its elements, thus it will get the same amount of light and more simple because of its design.
Single-ended bulbs have a long, metal wire frame that goes from the base all the way to the end of the bulb. That metal frame houses the arc tube that contains the material needed to give you light, from metal halides to sodium. All of the framework a single ended bulb will often hinder the spread and intensity of your bulb.
The framework of DE bulbs is much simpler and allows for more light down on to your plants. Instead of your bulb being lit from the socket of your reflector, there are wires on each end of the bulb that slide right into the fittings of the reflector (sort of like a T5 grow bulb). This allows for three things:
1) The bulb doesn?t have any metal blocking the arc tube, thus all the light it gives off is unhindered
2) The bulb will fire faster and receive put out more light because it receives energy from not just one end, but two
3) The light you get will be spread more evenly across your canopy than other lights.
Double Ended vs. Single Ended (Normal) Grow Lights ? What?s The Difference?
- Double Ended bulbs boast two connection points, one at either end, whereas a Single Ended bulb or lamp, only has one connection point.
- Double Ended lights get much hotter, producing far more light and heat than a Normal or S.E. one, which in turn, gives maximum yield and greater profits if selling your bud.
- Double ended grow lights require a much bigger financial layout than Single Ended to begin with, but, are more cost effective in the long run.
- Double Ended are also less likely to be available second hand.
Double ended (DE) grow lights have the positive and neutral sockets at each end of the fixture, as opposed to the one socket on a Single Ended (SE) bulb. The extra socket equates to extra brightness, and therefore efficacy.
Difference between HPS and LED grow lights:
There are three main differences between HPS or Double Ended grow lights, and LED grow lights.
The first difference is cost. HPS grow lights cost a fraction of good quality LED grow lights, and that?s what keeps them attractive even as LED grow lights have really gained popularity.
The downside to HPS grow lights is they produce much more heat than LED grow lights, and so they aren?t good for small grow tents, or even small areas with no ventilation.
Growing cannabis, fruits or vegetables indoors requires a specific temperature and humidity. HPS light users can definitely face a challenge in maintaining a proper growing environment.
The third difference is the ability to control and produce more favorable light spectrum with LEDs compared to double ended grow lights like HPS or MH grow lights.
Best Double Ended Grow Lights
Phantom 1000w Commercial DE Open System
The Phantom 1000w Commercial DE Open Lighting System features state-of-the-art double-ended technology that uniformly delivers optimum PAR value over a broad footprint. This system gives you the unique ability to remove the ballast from the reflector so it can be used remotely, allowing you to operate the ballast outside of your grow area to effectively reduce heat load.
Each fixture comes complete with ballast, reflector/fixture, and HPS bulb!
Hydrofarm Phantom 1000w DE Open Lighting System
At the heart of this system is the Phantom Commercial DE Ballast. It is designed with a high precision microprocessor that makes it highly efficient and extremely reliable. It is totally silent and lightweight. Its USB interface enables connection with the Autopilot PX1 Digital Lighting Controller (APDPX1). The PX1 provides centralized, dual-zone digital control of your DE lighting, allowing you to switch, dim and boost multiple (USB-compatible) Hydrofarm ballasts at once ? up to 256 in each of two independent zones for a total capacity of 512 ballasts.
The ballast model included in this system, PHB4010, is capable of multi-voltage operation (120V/208V/240V). It is generator ready, FCC-compliant, and comes with USB to RJ12 cable, RJ12 to RJ12 cable, RJ12 splitter, an 8-foot power cord, and instructions.
Rounding out this kit is our PHRW010 Open Reflector and a European-made premium DE lamp with a rated PAR output of 2100 ?mol/s.
- High-precision microprocessor control
- Four-way dimming: 60%, 75%, 100%, and Super Boost (1150W lamp output)
- USB interface provides full compatibility with Autopilot PX1 Digital Lighting Controller
- Robust commercial design
- Superior reliability
- LED status indicator
- Internal RF shielding
- Patented ignition control
- End of lamp life signal
- Auto-restrike feature protects valuable lamps from damaging power interruptions
- Cooling fins for maximum heat dissipation
- Suitable for use in damp locations
- Features an IEC power connection and comes with an 8? 120V 14/3 AWG power cord
- FCC certified
- Double-ended system delivers higher PAR value with incredible uniformity
- Open design for maximum light output, optimum heat management, and longer lamp life
- Premium aluminum European hammertone interior: 99.85% pure, 95% reflectivity
- Provides a broad, consistent light spread
- Compact design minimizes interference with sun in greenhouse applications
- The ideal reflector choice for lower mounting heights
- Requires fewer reflectors to meet desired light levels
- Highly efficient in overlapping multi-light configurations
- European-made VS K12 x 30s high-temperature lamp holders
- Patented reflector design: D731,109 (and other patents pending
Premium DE lamp features:
- High proportions of red and blue light guarantee efficient photosynthesis
- Excellent PAR output (2100 ?mol/s)
- Quartz glass outer jacket for superior optical quality
- Lamp design eliminates shadowing from arc tube support
- Designed for use with Hydrofarm and PARsource high-frequency DE fixtures and ballasts
AgroMax Signature 1000w DE Grow Light
AgroMax Signature Series 1000w Double-Ended Grow Light Systems deliver the latest in high-efficiency DE lighting technology for horticultural applications. Considered by many to be the best grow lights available for large-scale growing operations, DE systems such as the AgroMax Signature offer greater efficiency than standard 1000w grow lights with higher PAR output, improved horticultural spectrum, and better light maintenance. While DE efficiency is thanks in large part to the design of double-ended HID bulbs, a ballast with high-frequency capabilities is still required in order to achieve the full growing power.
Features:? Built-in intelligent software for advanced lighting control and system monitoring.? 3-point reflector angle adjustment allows fixture-to-canopy distance to be adjusted without coverage loss.? Power Specs: 1000w, 8.33A @ 120v
AgroMax Signature 1000w Double Ended Grow Light
AgroMax Signature Series 1000w double ended grow light systems deliver the latest in high-efficiency DE lighting technology for horticultural applications. Considered by many to be the best grow lights available for large-scale growing operations, DE systems such as the AgroMax Signature offer greater efficiency than standard 1000w grow lights with higher PAR output, improved horticultural spectrum, and better light maintenance. While DE efficiency is thanks in large part to the design of double-ended HID bulbs, a ballast with high-frequency capabilities is still required in order to achieve the full growing power.
Specially designed to maximize the output of both HPS and MH double ended bulbs, the Signature 1000w double ended grow light ballast provides high-frequency 120kHz lamp drive, as well as built-in intelligent control software and system monitoring. The Signature DE also features an integrated reflector with 3-point adjustment for enhanced output control. While the standard configuration is an all-in-one design like the Gavita Pro 1000 and SolisTek A1, the Signature Series 1000w double-ended grow light can also be quickly and easily converted to a remote configuration with an optional fixture extension cord making it the most versatile fixture of its kind.
Key Performance Factors
Integrated Intelligence ? AgroMax Signature DE fixtures feature built-in intelligent software for advanced lighting control and system monitoring. As many as 100 fixtures can be synchronized with dynamic cycle controls and high-temperature safeguards via the AgroMax Master Controller (sold separately), while integrated programming monitors status and protects individual units from system errors.
Adaptive Advantage ? While most DE lights only offer a static design that limits fixture positioning, the AgroMax Signature Series DE provides the ability to fine-tune light position to unique facility layouts. The AgroMax DE fixture?s 3-point reflector angle adjustment allows fixture-to-canopy distance to be adjusted without coverage loss while remote configuration capability allows the ballast to be mounted up to 15? away from the reflector.
Features & Specifications:
? Measurements (max): 23?L x 10.25W x 10.75H? Electrical: 1000 watts, approx. 8.33 amps @ 120v? Lamp Drive Frequency: 120kHz (high-frequency)? Operates both HPS and MH double ended bulbs? Multivolt: operates on 120v & 240v power? Dimmable Functions: 600w, 750w, 825w, 1000w, & 1150w ?Turbo Output? settings? Advanced control capabilities? Integrated hot-start protection? Includes 10? 120v power cord w/ grounded plug (NEMA 5?15)? UL Listed? Three-position reflector adjustment w/ 50 range? Ultra-efficient 95%+ reflective hood (+10% vs. competitors)? Three point hanging system (hardware included)? Remote configuration capabilities? Sleek black finish? 3-year system warranty
ECO FARM 1000W DOUBLE ENDED HPS MH GROW LIGHT ENCLOSED KIT
The ECO FARM Double Ended 1000-Watt Grow Light System is a premier choice for your garden. Available in 1,000-Watt versions, the Pro Series lighting system sets a new standard for others to follow. The digital ballast will operate 1000-Watt HPS Double Ended Lamps at 600W, 750W, 1000W, and 1150W power and has excellent airflow characteristics, running 20% cooler than other digital ballasts. Energy-saving up to 30% compared with magnetic ballasts. System includes Reflector, Ballast, Lamp, Ropes and Timer ? complete grow light system.
ECO FARM1000 watt DE grow light is not one to be sneezed at or ignored. It comes at a reasonable price considering everything included in the package.Included is a high parabolic aluminized reflector, and a double ended (DE) bulb with a mean lifetime of 30,000 hours. The high frequency dimmable ballast can be adjusted to your preference.The German made aluminum reflector is perfect to deal with the intense heat given off by a double ended lamp. This means that it is resistant to decomposition whether caused by heat or pressure.
- Enclosed design delivers maximized light output
- Excellent uniformity makes it the ideal reflector for lower mounting heights
- Vented top for heat management and longer lamp life
- Requires fewer reflectors to meet desired light levels
- Versatile ? can be used for many different applications
- Comes complete with ballast, reflector, double ended HPS bulb, timer and adjustable light ratchet hanger
- Quick installation, no assembly required
- Dimmer Presets: 600 / 750 / 1000 / 1150
- Double ended DE HPS bulb features a 1-year warranty
- Digital ballast is UL listed and CE certified
- Comes with hooks for easy hanging installation of your grow light
- 120-Volt 8 ft. power cord and 240-Volt adapter included
- Dual input voltage: 120-Volt/240-Volt
- 2-year warranty
- Reflector Type: Enclosed Style
- Only suitable for use with 1000 watt double ended EL lamps:
- No acoustic resonance,
- More than 25% brighter compared to traditional lamps
- Light maintenance after 10,000 hours >90%
- Professional 1000 watt high-efficiency electronic ballast (Fusion Bright).
- Including high-efficiency MIROaluminumm horticultural reflector (96% efficiency).
- Microprocessor controlled with electronic safety circuit.
- Driver efficiency >95% and is adjustable to 500/750/1000/1150W.
- Reflector is a generous size
- Ballast is high frequency and dimmable
- High P.A.R. Double Ended 1000W Bulb Included
- Both reflector and ballast come with a lengthy 3 year guarantee, bulb with 1 year
- Alumina reflector, made in Germany, gives extra reflection
- Reasonably priced
The market is ever expanding and the products are ever evolving to meet demands and expectations of customers, and keep up with their competitors. The internet has given the customer a mammoth selection of options to meet their individual requirements. Somewhere amongst all these items, about ten or so years ago, along came the best double ended Grow Lights ? are they good, are they bad, are they value for money? Well, it really all depends on your perspective and your cash flow of course!
If you can spare a few hundred dollars for one single grow kit, you may want to go ahead and buy a DE Grow Light setup, but, for the small time home grower,I will recommend the use of ECO FARM Double Ended 1000-Watt Grow Light System , which is reasonably priced and suitable for home growing. If you?re a large scale home grower or somebody doing it on a commercial basis, then a Double Ended Grow Lights setup is a must. Yes, it will involve a costly initial outlay, but, when you get your best maximum yield ever- it will definitely save you lots more time, effort and money.